· Search
· Web Links
· Privacy Policy

Hosted Sites
· Gary's Saddle Racing
· Legends of Boxing
· Decisive Action Sports
· Downey Games
There are 204 unregistered users and 0 registered users on-line.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Other Stories
· RLB Classic 2018 NBA Released (Apr 19, 2018)
· POTG Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Basketball 2018 NBA Available (Apr 19, 2018)
· UQ Hockey 2018 NHL Available (Apr 11, 2018)
· Final Score Hockey 2017-18 Universe Released (Apr 11, 2018)
· Downey Games 2018 Easter Sale Begins (Mar 26, 2018)
· RLB 2018 NCAA Tournament Year Book Available (Mar 14, 2018)
· Player of the Game 2018 NCAA Year Book Available (Mar 12, 2018)
· 2018 NCAA Available for UQ College Basketball (Mar 12, 2018)
· Final Score College Basketball 2018 Available (Mar 11, 2018)
tabletop-sports.com Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Derek KraftOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2018 - 10:49 PM

vwm85341 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed your recap of your tourney and look forward to reading the Sunday recap as well.
APBA golf is a pretty good game that I think is underrated. I have several seasons myself and enjoy playing, especially the greats from different eras against each other.
Looking forward to Sundays final day!

I appreciate it, thanks! I am just about finished up with the final round and it is going to be a tight finish. BUT, I joined a group on Facebook called The TGA Tour. We each draft one or two players and play 6 tournaments over the next few months. Each tourney takes 2 weeks then a week off before the next one. Anyways, the first two rounds were due today and I got busy with work this week so couldn't start playing until Fri evening. I will finish the final round of the 1971 Bing Crosby this or next week and post results. But then I will take a little sabbatical from the 1971 tour and focus on the TGA Tour. Check it out on the FB page if you are interested. Or if you want to join!!! I ended up with the 1st pick in the draft and took Tiger and my second round pick was the 1971 Lee Trevino. Thanks again!

Reply with quote Back to top
Derek KraftOffline
Post subject: Pebble Beach final round  PostPosted: Jan 12, 2018 - 09:52 AM

It was a Blustery Sunday afternoon at Pebble Beach, after 3 days of Moderate winds. The course played Soft after overnight rain. Frank Beard got out of bed after a sleepless night as the leader, closely followed by Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player and 2-time 1971 tour winner Lee Trevino.

Tom Weiskopf and Tom Shaw were first out and, beginning the day 8 and 14 shots back respectively, were just trying to finish on a high note. Shaw birdied 2 and 3 and was optimistic but his round came apart on the 8th when he hit a 3-iron 2nd into the hazard and then found a buried lie in the sand with a wedge. He tripled that and finished with a +3 75.

Weiskopf had a wild ride, with 3 bogeys and 5 birdies in the opening 8 holes, finally scoring his first par on the 9th. After birdying 10 and 12, he had himself to -10 and had to be thinking, “if I could just post a number…” Alas, he failed to find the green with a 9-iron on the next and missed an 11’ par putt. But he did birdie one more coming in and finished with a very solid 68, putting him at -10 overall.

Lee Trevino had 5 birdies in the final round but never was able to mount a challenge. He bogeyed the 4th after sailing a wedge over the green into the canyon, doubled the 10th after driving into the hazard, bogeyed the par 5 14th after the wind took his wedge, and bogeyed 15 after 3-putting from 25’. He finished with a 72 final round and -9 overall.

Gary Player got off to an auspicious start with a bogey on the 1st then failed to make it up when he rolled a dreaded “54” on a 5’ birdie putt on the following hole. A great 4-iron on the difficult par 3 5th and an accurate chip on the par 5 6th led to birdies. Player then birdied the turn when he stuck a 5-iron on the 9th and made an 11’ putt on the 10th. At that point he was -13 and very much in contention.

The final pairing was Jack Nicklaus (-12) and the leader Frank Beard (-14). Both birdied the par 5 2nd but after Beard bogeyed the 3rd and 4th, and Jack had a par and birdie, it was the Golden Bear who found himself atop the leaderboard. Nicklaus then hit a 5-iron off the tee to 7’ on the 5th. Beard steadied himself and proceeded to plop a 4-iron 10’ from the cup. Both birdied. On the par 5 6th, Jack had to settle for par after 3-putting from 51’. Beard missed the green with his second but chipped in close and tapped in for birdie, drawing even with Nicklaus. Jack parred the rest of the front while Frank birdied 8, momentarily taking the lead, then bogeying 9 to fall back into a tie. Both players made the turn at -15.

Jack parred the 10th through the 13th, while Beard bogeyed the 10th and parred the following 3 holes. Player parred 11 through 13. So after 13 it was Nicklaus -15, Beard -14 and Player -13. On the par 5 14th Player went for the green, missed, but then stuck a wedge and got the bird. Beard laid up but found the trees, though he was able to salvage par. Nicklaus went for it, missed into the trees, then caught a limb on his third, leading to a bogey. We had a three-way tie at -14 after 14!

The par 4 15th proved pivotal. Both Player and Beard missed the green, chipped close and tapped in. Jack’s drive left him 120 yards from the pin. Without consulting his caddy or anyone else save perhaps the golf Gods, Nicklaus selected a gap wedge, checked the wind (none), swung, hit the ball 125 yards directly past the pin and watched the ball spin back 5 yards into the cup for a hole-out eagle (rolled double 6s) to take a 2-shot lead into the final 3 holes!!!

On the par 4 16th, Player knocked a wedge to 4’ and tapped in for a birdie, moving within a shot to -15. Beard failed to find the green with a 9-iron then couldn’t get up and down and bogeyed, falling to -13. Jack played conservative, finding the fairway with a 5-wood. He then inexplicably hooked a 7-iron into the trees, where his lie forced him to play safe. Jack dropped a shot and into a tie with Player. Hmmm…

On the long and difficult par 3 17th, Gary Player hit a poor 5-wood made worse by a strong crosswind (+20) and found himself out of bounds. Minutes later he recorded a double bogey 5. Nicklaus and Beard both parred (both used bounceback points DESPITE the fact that neither’s tee shot would find the green – that is how tough 17 played!).

So stepping up to 18 Player was -13, Beard was -13 and Nicklaus -15. Gary knew he needed to score and hit a nice drive then a beautiful but risky 3-wood to 24’. He struck the putt too hard and slid 6’ past, then missed the comebacker and had to settle for par and a 69 final round score.

Beard found a fairway bunker off the tee and Jack the fairway itself. After Beard laid up, and knowing he had a 2-stroke lead, Nicklaus also played it short. Each hit a wedge into the green with Jack 12’ from the pin and Beard ’16. After allowing Beard to find only 6 fairways and 5 greens all day, the golf Gods had enough and he sank his putt for birdie, finishing with an even par 72. Jack 2-putted for a 1-stroke victory and a 69 final round. Congrats to the Golden Bear!

Final leaderboard and earnings:

Jack Nicklaus -15 (66)(73)(65)(69) $27,000
Frank Beard -14 (68)(64)(70)(72) $15,000 + year’s supply of Winston cigarettes for his hole-in-one
Gary Player -13 (66)(70)(70)(69) $8,000
Tom Weiskopf -10 (68)(73)(69)(68) $4,000
Lee Trevino -9 (64)(72)(71)(72) $2,000
Tom Shaw +3 (75)(67)(74)(75) $1,000

Next up is the Hawaiian Open at the beautiful Waialae Country Club in Honolulu. All 4 members of the Big 4, including the returning Arnold Palmer, will compete. None of them want to miss a trip to the islands! Again, I will be taking a break to play the TGA Tour (check it out on Facebook!) but will recommence the 1971 PGA Tour in the spring.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: