There are no polls defined.
View Thread
 Print Thread
Back to Basics results
w_hild
1875 BOS-n...4
1905 PHI-A...5
(15 innings!!)

Things got interesting in the 7th inning. BOS-n scored 4 to take a 4-1 lead, and PHI-A answered with 3 to tie the game. A Danny Murphy single plated Chief Bender to end this marathon. Al Spaulding went the whole way for BOS-n (not a surprise in those days), whereas Eddie Plank went the first 12 innings for PHI-A, before giving way to pinch hitter and relief pitcher Chief Bender.

1886 CHI-N...11
1887 STL-a...1

Holding a 3-1 lead through 6, CHI-N broke through with an 8 run 7th inning sending 12 men to the plate. CHI-N starter John Clarkson greatly helped his own cause with a home run and two doubles.

1892 BOS-N...7
1894 BAL-N...5

BAL-N was cruising to a nice 5-1 victory heading to the top of the 8th inning, when it all fell apart. BOS-N got 4 in the 8th inning to tie the score, then added 2 more in the 9th inning.

I find it easier to have the players on individual cards. I created a template to print off on cardstock, then fill in the relevant information with a trusty old pencil. Cards are 3.75 inches tall, and 2 inches wide.

Bill

w_hild
1902 PIT-N...1
1903 BOS-A...0

A Tommy Leach solo homerun to lead off the top of the fourth is all that's needed for Deacon Phillippee toss a nice 3-hit shutout and pick up the win. Cy Young made only the one mistake, scattering 4 singles otherwise.

1904 NYG-N...0
1904 NYH-A...2

Jack Chesbro tossed a three-hit shutout, and got support in the form of runs in the 3rd and 6th. Christy Mathewson gave up a total of 5 hits for the Giants.

1906 CHI-N...2
1906 CHI-A...3

The Cubs, behind Three-Finger Brown scored their two runs in the first two innings, then the bats went silent for the rest of the game. The White Sox scored their go-ahead run in the 6th, as Ed Walsh of the White Sox gave up quite a few hits, but no one would cross the plate. Quite a scare in the 9th inning for Walsh, as Fred Schulte led off with a triple, but Walsh bore down and then struck out the next three batters!

Employing a couple house rules. I draw twice for the # and % results, and take the worst result of the two. It helps to get an extra hit or error, as the game seems to not allow for enough of these. Also, with a runner on second, and third base open, if a batter gets a DEEP FLY to right field, and the batter is an A RBI rating, I allow the runner on second to advance to third base.

BillS
Hi Bill -
I'm sorry I didn't notice these posts before. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I think Back to Basics may be the only game out there that you can use to play the games you played. Your range and error check procedure is something I have been using for years. It does help to mix things up a bit, as the game is a little stingy on the offensive side.

darrylw68
Always nice to see Back to Basics get some attention. Doesn't seem to get muchon the Delphi forum, but I really enjoy the game. I'll have to try drawing two cards on range and error checks. Have you played enough games to get a sense of how accurate it is?
Darryl

Jump to Forum
Sign In
Enter Email or Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Latest Downloads
· Harold Combess' Fast...
· Harold Combess' Kiss...